Mac OS 7-9
Most sites on Mac chess handle these. I just listed below the programs you can use for this. Please refer to the links page for more information where to find them.
- MacChess. (Not Mac Chess 2.0 and not related to this site!) A free chess application. Amateur strength.
- Sigma chess lite. (Os 8.6 and up) Amateur strength. Supports replacable engines.
- Sigma chess pro. (Os 8.6 and up) A commercial (15€) chess application. Integrated games collections. Master strength. Supports replacable engines.
- ExaChess Lite. A free chess application with demo database functions. Allows support for external chess engines. Amateur strength but upgradable through the use of additional free engines.
- ExaChess Pro. A commercial (100 €) application with integrated database functions. Same as the lite but with bigger database and opening books.
- Vanessa. Freeware chess application that also supports HTML export. Amateur strength.
- RChess. Freeware chess application.
- GNUChess 4.0. Freeware command line chess application. Downloadable from the download folder.
- Crafty 16.1 Freeware command line chess application. Downloadable from the download folder.
The following are not chess applications to play against the computer but to play against other partners.
- ChessWorks. A helper application to play a game against another partner using the same software.
- Fixation. A helper application to run on FICS (free internet chess server) and other internet chess servers. Free.